Thursday 9 March 2017

Chronicles Of Willy - Episode 1




   I'm Akintade Williams, a part 2 student of Economics. I remember vividly when I gained admission, I dreamt of being like Karl Marx, David Ricardo, and even Sanusi Lamido, so I'd use my knowledge to change the world; but two years into my stay in OAU, I've barely changed the behaviour of my roommates who litter the room with clothes and books. Jide, the only part 1 roommate I've is a Small Doctor fan. It feels like every time I attempt reading in the room, is when he craves hearing the "ah ah ah ahn ah ehn" sound. Bartholomew or Mr Batman as I call him is the "slippers" of the room, always sleeping anywhere and at anytime. Gbadebo is my biggest padi, the only thing is that he's a little dirty if I must be diplomatic with the truth. We always have that rotten smell that oozes from undone dishes at the back of the room which doubles as our kitchen. I'd have told him my mind blankly but for the sake of friendship. We certainly are not four, but all my other roommates only come to sleep at night and are off the following morning. I barely know the names of some of them. I think they're about 4 in number, Boda Isaiah, Mr Julius and two other guys; you might like to call them *squatters* . I am like the flyest guy in my room sha; glasses, straight jeans, vintage and check shirts, denim jackets and a little buoyancy in terms of cash.
     It just seems that the only problem I've is I barely have a girl in my life; I mean asides the girls that always want to collect my shirts, don't get me wrong, I've girls who have come and gone, be cool for one week or two and then we go back to being casual greeters; the shirt-pirates are the only constant ones who have stayed. Not like I need girls tho but to be honest, "Who doesn't?". Sade has been my crush since Pre Degree. I took her out couples of times. It had to stop when she was always talking about her boyfriend at our dates. I mean she even used to collect "takeaway". I'm sure it was always for her boyfriend. One yeye Patrick guy like that in Accounting.
  My fate seems to have been sealed when it comes to getting a girl so I decided about a month ago to focus on my studies. I'm on a 3.95 cgpa. Maybe if I put in more effort this semester it'd be for the best. I surprised myself and all my friends when I joined the league of people who always went out to read on the first day of resumption. "I no even know wetin push me that day". I got there and I reasoned that it's not like we've done anything, or could I have read blank lines? O boy, that day I beat my high score in Zuma with my system and all the "efikos" at ODLT were just staring. I did stare back like " Do I look like Elujoba?".
    It's a week and half already into the semester. I still haven't succeeded in reading for an hour at a stretch. Yesterday's experience at HSLT A convinced me that I had to take a drastic step if I really want to do well this semester. I just hope this semester brings something good 'cause I want nothing less than the best.

 
    I've to run to Amphitheatre from Faj for SOC202 class. It's not like they'll take attendance or anything but I've to get there just when everyone is getting settled so I'll be the cynosure of all eyes. You know, in my black on black and sleek vintage tie. I can't afford to dress so good and let it waste. I actually had to let Jide off the hook when I realised there was nothing I could do to get my water back; he had to attend a 7am class at First Bank Lecture Theatre and the lecturer always took attendance during the first 20 minutes of the class. I took my bath by asking for one bowl of water from all ten rooms on my block. I'll deal with him when I get back.
     Stepping into Amphi, I go to meet my gees sitting at our spot, the "topmost top" as far away from the lecturer as possible. It's not like I enjoy sitting here but it's one of perks of being a fly guy. I definitely turned some heads when I entered and that feeling of vain pride never grows stale. Femi, the first guy I made friends with in my class and Dozie, our friend from Sociology are my gees. We three are sometimes called triplets by some members of the class. Femi is one of the most complicated people I've met, he's a very intelligent guy, one of the best in Mathematics, but his intellectual life doesn't fit in with his social life; parties in Buka, rendezvous with different girls in one night and a crazy style of dressing. I'm okay with all these. Rolling with him has made me quite popular; at least I know all the "happening guys"(even if na only greet, I dey greet them) and he also helps out with academics. Dozie on the other hand, is brilliant notwithstanding but hardly takes time out to read like Femi. He passes his exams but always has to crash-read. He and Femi always strike bets when it comes to issues concerning girls and so many times, hapless me, has to be the umpire.
     Sometimes I always feel like I'm the duff of the lot, just like now. Femi and Dozie are chatting with two pretty ladies, while I'm left to draw patterns at the back of my note. Following the lecturer is out of question as I'm too far away. I bring out my phone with my earphones plugged. Music has always been the opium. My favourite songs, Ayo Jay's Your Number, Burna Boy's Like to party, Chris Brown's Fine by me and all the others have always proved to be enough to take me away from the present. This time however, it took me from the present to another realm and I suffered for it. I was jamming Jidenna's Little Bit More at that moment with my head bent over my book, on which I was still drawing patterns. The music had gotten to me so naturally that I was nodding to the beat and stamping my feet. Suddenly, I saw a hand reach out to unplug my earphones. Instinctively, I reached out to keep them in. I got slapped on my hand. I looked up to express my anger, but it just happened to be the last person I expected to see, and I froze in shock.



Who do you think he saw? Comments below

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The lecturer

Olabode Taiwo said...

We'll see. On Friday, we'll know.☺

Anonymous said...

The phone owner