Friday 5 May 2017

BUS


I've only ever been on a bus once. All my life I have been chauffeured around. I wouldn't say I don't find it convenient but I don't always get the freedom to board a bus. Today was freedom day. I got on the bus with so much fuss and trouble. Mum also got in with me but I waved her back. "I'll be fine", I said, My cousin, Jimi, would be waiting for me at my destination. All would go well. I settled in quite well, making sure to place my legs well in order to avoid discomfort. It felt strange having people rub against me, but it wasn't much of a big deal. I loved the human connection. The bus was moving at a considerably normal speed, however I couldn't stop my heart from beating fast. It felt nice, seeing the trees as we swept by them. The view was so appealing, trees rising high into the skies, it was a welcome development. So tired was I of seeing masts and tall buildings. The air rushing in brushed my face, I was a little uncomfortable but I enjoyed it, the fresh air much different from an air conditioner. Soon, the driver was yelling bus-stops. Such a hoarse voice should have started me but I somehow liked the rhythm with which he called out the bus stops. "Coker Estate" he yelled, " O wa ooo" I said with joy; copying passengers that had alighted. He got down from the bus, and went around to the trunk while I sat patiently. He carefully brought down my wheelchair and helped me into it. Jimi was waiting around the corner, choosing not to come assist me. I wheeled to where he was standing, smiling with unrestrained joy. " You finally took a bus after all these years " Jimi remarked. " Yes, I slayed my demon." I replied.


-Olabode Taiwo.


                               

No comments: