Friday 28 April 2017

Chronicles Of Willy - Episode 5

 This is Episode 5. Let's see how Willy got out of the cell.


         The music in my ears was unpleasant; the buzz of mosquitoes. I got on my feet, sleeping in this condition is not in anyway conducive. Femi was sleeping comfortably. I am not surprised as he has been an Awo boy since part 1. I decided to sit close to Femi's leg and just look till morning. Leaning against the wall, I folded my knees to my face and put my head on it. " How far" I heard a voice call from behind me. It was one of the inmates, he was looking at me. He seemingly has been up all the while. "I dey alright" I replied. "Come here make we talk" he said, " This place dey okay" I said. " I no dey paga you joor " He retorted. I moved closer to him and he grabbed me by the ass. I made to run and he let go and laughed hysterically. "Ole oshi, siddon my guy, make we yarn". I sat with him but in my mind, I was cussing "Who be your guy? No wonder, na because we gather dey cell now". "Wetin you dey do for here?" He asked. "I'm here because the cops suspected my friend of internet fraud" I said. "Una be G boys?" He asked excitedly. "No we are not". "Dey mumu yourself there. Anyhow my name is Jidons" He said. His English was slightly accented but it was okay enough. I thought about lying about my name but I thought he might have heard it when I and Femi were talking, so I told him. It was to be that we'd talk all night.
         Jidons didn't tell me his real name. He however told me a whole lot about himself. He was an indigene of Ile-Ife and his father was a well respected man in the community. He always gave his dad trouble through his involvement in selling and reselling land and also in various fights around the community. It was rumoured that Jidons was responsible for the death of one Ife youth killed during a street carnival. He however confided in me that he didn't kill him. He told me about a lot of his escapades and at some point, I began to wonder why he was telling me all of it. I wasn't to wonder for so long. After about an hour of discussing, he stopped and said "I just like you, that is why I tell you all this thing o. I wish say I fit dey school like you but my head no fit carry book, so I am impressed that you are in school and you no commot". I sat there starstruck. It was not like I was a mighty scholar or anything and as such, his words touched me deeply. An awkward silence fell and then I asked "What brought you here this time?". He chuckled and said "I slap my Papa small wife, na him the man call police say make they come put me here for two days". I didn't bother asking what could have transpired between him and his stepmother. I was dozing off already when he asked "You be Chelsea fan?" "Yes I am". "Take my number abeg,zero-eight-zero-two-four-one-eight-two-zero-two-eight. Just dey call me make we dey watch ball together". I didn't hear his next words as I slumped into sleep.
         I woke up to the sound of the door being opened. The tall officer who arrested us, called out "Where those two boys?". We got on our feet and moved out. He gave us our belongings. Smiling maliciously, he asked, "Have you learnt your lesson?". We got out, the broad daylight almost blinding me. Femi and I didn't speak a word to each other. I had forgotten to bid Jidons farewell. It wasn't like I was looking forward to seeing him again. I had memorised his number anyways. The officers had taken the little change we had, so we had to trek from Moore to Mayfair junction. It was difficult walking because of my sore toes and I had to stop at intervals to rest. We begged for our bus fare from a guy, and headed straight into school. I got to my room in Faj and my roommates looked at me like they had just seen a ghost. Bartholomew and Jide embraced me and asked where I had been. "It's a long story" I said. "Lemme just rest first". I lay down on my bed. Bartholomew had wet it as usual but I didn't mind. I slept four straight hours despite the noise of my roommates. When I woke up, I cooked beans in my very special way.Gbadebo and Mr Julius were waiting with plates in their hands when my beans was ready and I had to give them. After eating, I decided to chill in the room, phone in hand and smile on my face. Jide was as usual playing Small Doctor's music; I didn't mind. I was even nodding my head to the beat. I was chatting with Mystic again; what a better way to relax after a night behind bars. She was more polite this time and soon enough, she gave me her number. Our chat moved to WhatsApp, and it was easier to communicate that way. Her name was Kikelomo Adeniyi. She was a student of International Relations, in her 2nd year; a member of RCF as well. She lived in Acquifer hall in Maintenance. Everything on point. I couldn't believe my luck. I also told her the little I could about myself; no, I didn't tell her I spent the last night in a cell. I was so cautious with the kind of questions I asked because I didn't want to ruin the whole thing. Soon, it was time for me to go out to read. We ended the chat and I asked if I could see her on Monday. She replied "Why not?" and my joy knew no bounds. We agreed 4pm would be okay, at sport complex; the land of yellow railings. My reading was so sweet that night with the thought of Monday constantly bringing joy to my heart. Monday would be Mystic day.



Do you think his first date would be a successful one or would he flop it? Share your thoughts.

See you next Friday.
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its a good tyn dea got out! Nd 'una don learn lesson' wat lesson z d fool talking abt. Anyways 👍 fr Trade on his new catch